What is AEOs?
AEO status is a certified standard authorisation issued by customs administrations in the European Union (EU). It certifies that an economic operator has met certain standards in relation to:
- safety and security
- systems to manage commercial records
- compliance with customs rules
- financial solvency
- practical standards of competence or professional qualifications.
This is primarily a trade facilitation measure that recognises reliable operators and encourages best practice in the international supply chain. As an AEO, you could benefit from:
- recognition worldwide as safe, secure and compliant business partners in international trade
- lower risk scores in risk analysis systems when profiling
- priority treatment if physical controls are conducted
- mutual recognition of AEO programmes under Joint Customs Cooperation Agreements which could result in faster movement of goods through third country borders
- reduced data sets for entry and exit summary declarations (this only applies to AEO safety and security)
- easier access to simplified procedures
- reduction or waiver of comprehensive guarantees.